Deprecated: Cannot use "parent" when current class scope has no parent in /home/ on line 608

Conservatorship Proceedings

Conservatorship matters are one of the more common types of proceedings in the Probate Court that our firm handles. When an adult becomes incapacitated and does not have a recorded Durable Power-of-Attorney designating an agent to manage their financial and property affairs, an individual who wishes to handle these types of matters on behalf of the incapacitated adult must petition the Probate Court to be appointed as conservator. In the vast majority of proceedings, it is the spouse or adult child of the incapacitated person who petitions the Probate Court for appointment as conservator. However, South Carolina statute specifies several other classes of people who may petition the Probate Court for appointment as conservator, including a third party/ corporate entity. The attorneys at Charles S. Bradford, P.A. have a breadth of experience with conservatorship proceedings.